Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Peanuts and Bananas and Milk - Oh My!

Well, we got the blood test results back from the allergist. Cole is officially allergic to peanuts, bananas, and milk. We had previously had him tested for peanuts, and the good news this time around is that his peanut numbers went down. So - we're crossing our fingers that he'll outgrow the peanut allergy (according to the allergist, he has a 20% chance of outgrowing a peanut allergy). We figured he had a banana allergy based on his anaphylactic episode a couple months back, but these results confirm that it was in fact bananas and that there was no cross contamination (with peanuts - for example). Finally - milk. Ugh. I had really thought there was no way he could be allergic to milk. He had been eating cheese quesadillas for a while, but he had also been having unexplained cases of hives. Anyway, the milk is a positive, so our boy is dairy free for now. He has an 80% chance of outgrowing the milk allergy - so that's something to hope for. In the meantime, my friend, Jen, just informed me that there's soy yogurt that he might like. I had incorrectly assumed that yogurt was off the table, so I'll have to do some research to see what other options are out there.

2 comments:

  1. At least he's not allergic to soy. Soy is in everything and it can substitute for everthing too! I think I was allergic to dairy too when I was a baby but mom fed me goat milk instead of cow milk and I was fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Terra btw lol

    ReplyDelete