I was so good with Sydney - I never let her sleep with us and I taught her to self soothe and put herself to sleep when she was 8 weeks old. With Cole, it's been a completely different story. Mostly, Cole's been sick, so I couldn't do any sleep training. However, lately, we've had a pretty good bedtime ritual going, and Cole seemed to have a good night schedule - so I was beginning to think about starting sleep training. Then came Monday. Monday night, Cole didn't feel well, and I made the mistake of letting him sleep with us. Before I knew it, he didn't feel well again on Tuesday, and by Wednesday, he made it clear he was not going to sleep in his crib.
Well, crap.
Along with his new-found fondness for our bed, Cole all-the-sudden became very attached to me. That's nice and all, but Mommy needs a break. I knew things were bad when Jodi - who has a masters in putting babies to sleep - couldn't get Cole to go to sleep for his nap. In addition, Cole has been on a bottle boycott. Wow... things were spiraling out of control!
I decided we needed to make some changes - and make them quick! First, we enrolled him in bottle boot camp. Grandma B came over on Thursday and helped me get him to take a bottle: it only took over an hour and multiple renditions of the Mickey Mouse theme song and Old MacDonald. Oye. Then, Thursday night, I made him sleep in his own crib. That was painful! Although he went to sleep pretty easily, he did not go back to sleep after his midnight feeding. I think my ears are still bleeding.
The good news is that Cole's doing much better with the bottles and sleep today. It's been two and a half days now, and he's taken nine bottles and actually fell asleep on his own this morning after waking up at 4:00 am.
It's just a matter of time. At this point, I think we're past the hardest part of bottles and sleep. Hopefully, Cole will be taking bottles and sleeping without assistance soon.
Saturday, October 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment