Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Operation Christmas Child

Sydney's preschool curriculum includes two service projects per year. I absolutely love this because it starts teaching compassion and charitable giving at an early age. Her first service project was Operation Christmas Child (www.samaritanspurse.org). We compiled a variety of toys, school supplies, and hygiene items and packed them in a shoe box to be sent to a needy child. All this week, we discussed how some children do not have toys and how nice it would be to send them some. We also discussed how sometimes giving presents can be just as fun as receiving them. At first, I didn't think our conversations were sinking in. Then, Tom said that last night before she went to bed, Sydney thanked him for all her toys! How sweet!

Today, we went to school, and Sydney got to present her shoe box at chapel. I think the entire process was an excellent learning opportunity. In fact, I'm really looking forward to a party we're attending soon that is also sponsoring an Operation Christmas Child build party. I think it will be great to reinforce what we've already learned. Also, because I have every intention of sending Syd back to school again next year, I'm going to start collecting fast food toys and books to donate next year. Our playgroup goes to the mall once a week for lunch. If we each donated a toy or book every other week, we'd have hundreds of toys or books to donate by the end of the year! I think I may approach the group and see if they want to participate.

1 comment:

  1. I love your approaches to parenting. I strongly agree on the importance of teaching compassion and giving. The sooner they learn to look outside their naturally self-centered world the better. Great work!

    ReplyDelete